Wednesday 14 November 2012

Perspectives






I'm writing this at school, right now, in fact, so I have to be a little careful what I say. However, I don’t think there are any Grade 10ers around, so I’m probably safe. I don’t know how much I’ll be able to stand writing on this retarded keyboard though. The keys are about two inches off the keyboard and the backspace key has a habit of magically shrinking to the size of a pin just when I need it. Whatever. I should stop complaining, that’s one of the things I wanted to change this year. Onto better (or at least more ridiculous) things.
If you have been through Grade 10, which most of you probably have, you will know what I mean when I say that everybody and their dog has had, has, or wants a boyfriend. Which is all okay. Except for the fact that most of them are so immature they don’t even really know what a relationship means. And probably not how to spell it either.
I don’t mean to by hypercritical; it’s just that when you’re on the outside looking in, the whole thing is a little absurd, no matter how maturely you try to frame it. “Dating” in grade 10 means seeing each other at school and texting or facebooking in the evenings. Because let’s face it, most parents aren’t going to drive their kids to dates. And yet, to them, these relationships to them are extremely serious. They don’t  have the perspective to realize there’s a difference from being in a relationship in grade 10 and when you’re twenty. They don’t have the maturity to realize how immature they are, in other words.
I’m under no pretenses myself. I know that I’m only 15 (yeah, skipped a grade) and I don’t have the kind of maturity to give to a relationship that I would when I’m a few years older. But at least I’m smart enough to know my own maturity level. Sure, the idea of having a boyfriend is nice. But I wouldn’t be about to sacrifice music or school for one. It’s so hard to have your priorities straight in high school, and yet it’s the time when it counts for the most.
Currently the drama in our school is who’s asking or will ask who to the Christmas banquet, which is a formal dinner and dance in a few weeks. According to a lot of people, if you don’t get asked you’re a ‘loser’ because there are more guys than girls in this school.
Actually, if you don’t get asked, it means you don’t straighten your hair, wear mascara, and talk a mile a minute. It means you are not the ‘normal’, and that pisses me off.
There are so few intelligent people in our school. There are smart people, but that’s superficial. There are nice people, but not really wise people. I can think of maybe one … which is kind of sad. I mean, yes, I go to a small private school (under 200) and so it’s a smaller pool to draw from. But there should be more than one.
That, I think, is the main reason I don’t have a boyfriend. To me, a relationship would be more about the mental than the physical. I’d want I guy I could talk to, really talk to, who would understand me and my thoughts and how that would matter more than what I looked like.
I’m sure there are some of you who are thinking, “Right. Maybe you’re just coming up with all this bull because you’re too ugly to get a guy,”
Well, I’m not ugly. I don’ t even really look like a nerd. Physical description? I’m tall and skinny, I have short-ish blonde wavy hair, and greeny-brown eyes. I don’t have serious acne, a broken nose, or some disfiguration. By all standards, I would be considered pretty. I mean, I have braces, but so what? A ton of highschoolers do these days. If I wanted a boyfriend, looks wouldn’t be an issue.
I’m not self-centered or trying to brag. I’m just self-aware, which is a very rare commodity in my high-school. I’m dying for some intelligent conversation here.
Keep checking for the next instalment about Cafeterias: Who's Brilliant Idea Was It Anyways?

No comments: